Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beta-Readers And The Art of Tutoring

     Hey everyone! First off, I’m posting tonight in need of a few people. I’m working hard towards getting published, amongst my time tutoring and teaching, and I’m getting nothing but positive comments from my professor. While that’s nice to hear, and is a very good thing for a writer to know, I still need a few folks I can rely on to give me constructive opinions on my writing. 

      I’m pretty divided when it comes to what I write; some days I write more human stories while the rest I focus my hand at anthropomorphic creatures. Furthermore, a majority of my stories fall under horror, suspense, sociology of every day life, and some other genres. You don’t need to be into these genres, but it can help me if you are.
      Obviously I won’t be able to pay you, but I can acknowledge you with gratitude, and I only hope you find joy in helping someone further their career and passion. If you’re interested please note me here with a cover letter explaining any experience, education, or creative background you feel might help. Again, I’m not looking for you to be interested in my genres, or be a fellow tutor of the English language, but it would certainly help. Thank you!

     Moving on now, I'm interested in discussing a bit about my current experiences in tutoring English, a job I've had for just around a month. It's a fun job that forces me to be social in situations I can't control, which to say is very good for me as a person. Most of my days are spent behind this dusty, music screaming laptop without any interaction outside my home beyond the internet. If lucky, I get to hang with friends, and if not--time for writing.
     But tutoring allows me to meet new people, learn their stories, and show my compassionate, creative side to others. I joke with our director, Dr. David Charbonneau, that I care too much some times. He laughs at me and says that's fine, but don't help too much or skip appointments. If only it was as easy to do the former as he says. 
     Furthermore, tutoring strengthens my knowledge more than students I'm working with (genius, as I say!). My professor and some-what of a mentor in creative-writing, John Brantingham(1), brought this up during one of our class sessions. He mentioned that our knowledge is built stronger by teaching someone because we hear it for the second time, an enforce it into our minds. I like to joke that that's a double-edged blade, but sadly it's not a joke, and forces me to make sure my understanding is concise and correct.
     Tutoring is a great way to improve not only as a writer, but as a respectable person in society. You hear so many stories of growth from students, and learn how people deal with society now in its tragic, strenuous occurrences. I've learned so much about people, and feel I will only learn more about society and the human heart as time goes on. My stories will improve; my understanding of life will improve. Not only does this push me further into a career I can enjoy, but I get payed too. That's kind of a plus, I guess.

1.  John Brantingham can be found here, on blogger, at http://www.johnbrantingham.blogspot.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment